Thursday 7 March 2013

Professional Context: Interviews with Art Directors


I contacted several magazine art directors and advertising agencies to gather research, books can be outdated and only offer so much insight. To understand the profession fully I must talk to those with experience in it. Out of the about 23 people I contacted, I only received replies from two people.

Charlotte Heal
 The first reply I received was from Charlotte Heal, she has worked freelance but recently created work for LOVE magazine. She is also the art director for Lula Magazine.

What does it take to become an art director/editor?
Clear focus and direction, good communication skills and grasp of the overview

Do you think that experience or education is most vital to becoming an art director/editor?
Both, education provides the foundation, experience builds upon it


What inspires your work?
A variety of things, I'm very drawn to Japanese craft, the everyday, the details; I love grids but also adore intuition.
I am pretty contrary so take inspiration from a variety of things

What does your job entail?
Concepts and ideas, then a sense of how to go about doing that, with imagery its working out who is best to hire, a knowledge of who's out doing what and what I can ask from them, what retouching is necessary if necessary and why, marking up, production.
What did you study?
I studied graphic design BA and communication art and design MA.

Did you achieve your current role from working your way up?
No, I think I achieved current role through experience but via luck also. It wasn't working my way up in logical sense - more like working way up by being thrown in at the deep end and swimming!




_____________________________________

Chris Williams

The second person I heard from was Chris Williams, art director at ASOS magazine who has worked in the industry for over 11 years.

How does one become an art director/editor?
There are lots of different ways to become an Art Director – it’s not just a case of following one route. I know Art Directors who didn't even study design or graphics at college. I suppose it’s about having an eye for design, a creative mind and the ability to convert that to the page. Personally it helped me to have some kind of formal training so that I could develop the way I approached design and tackling a brief – whether it be research processes or what of generating ideas. I've also had colleagues who had no formal training and gained their experience in a much more vocational way.

What does it take to become an art director/editor and how did you first discover this is what you wanted to do?
As with any role in the creative industry it takes a certain amount of time, hard work and experience to get to the role. The more experience you get in the industry and the more contacts you make the better position you are in to be approached for work. It takes a passion for design – not just the graphic design and layout of a page but the photography and ideas behind it – all the visual elements of design… the bigger picture. I suppose Art Direction on a magazine is about being able to take a step back and look at it as a whole project and understand how all the different components work together to create once experience.

Do you think that experience or education is most vital to becoming an art director/editor?
I think it’s a combination of both. I think education can give you a really good foundation to base things on but experience is ultimately going to count when you're trying to get out into the industry.

What inspires your work?
Anything and everything! A lot of what we do at ASOS is related to the clothing collections and trends each season. They have a great influence on the way we interpret the design of the magazine. This can lead us down all sorts of paths – whether it be looking back to the past or trying to reinterpret something in a new way. We also have to bear in mind the reader and how our decisions are going to affect their experience of the magazine. It’s good to look at what your contemporaries are up to but it’s just as relevant to find inspiration in areas that are totally unrelated to design & fashion

What does your job entail?
I need to oversee the style, structure and quality standards for the visual appearance of the magazine. I have to set the house style for each season in conjunction with our Head of Art. I make sure each issue meets the deadline on time and is sent off to the printers. I collaborate with various editorial members like the picture department and deputy editor on features and photo shoots, manage my deputy and liaise with the repro house.

What did you study?
Graphic Design at Brighton University

How much interaction is required between the editor and the art director/editor?
Continual interaction! We work as a team and a lot of my design decisions are based on what the Editor requires for a feature or how they see a feature best working for the reader. Similarly the Editor will ask me questions about how I best see a layout working and they may tailor the concept to fit the design – its very much a collaboration.

Did you achieve your current role from working your way up?
I've been working in the design industry since 2001 and have had numerous roles at various magazines and publishers. I started as work experience that lead to my first job then carried on from there. I've had periods where I've been a freelance designer but am currently enjoying the challenge that a full time role offers.




Analysis
Although I only had two responses I found this part of my research the most exciting and informative. Books and the internet can only tell you so much, to truly understand the industry you want to move in to you must hear from those who are in to currently.
From my replies I can see that in answer to my initial question about experience vs. education, education is pretty much fundamental in moving in to art direction. Both Chris and Charlotte have degrees under their belts and haven’t just achieved their position through who they know, as they both implied this does come in handy but is not as important as a good education.
I have also learnt about the roles and responsibilities of an art director, moreover I learnt that being an art director isn’t just about the layout of the page but also working with photographers and illustrators etc.
I was particularly happy to hear back from Charlotte as I am a massive fan of Lula magazine and their layouts. 

Photo Credits
http://www.buyolympia.com/q/Item=lula15
http://art8amby.wordpress.com/2010/08/17/gisele-bundchen-for-love-magazine-issue-4/
http://emma557.blogspot.co.uk/2011_01_01_archive.html
epub02.publitas.com 
http://awake-smile.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/coco-sumner-covers-asos-magazine.html#.UTkjQaVH9SU

No comments:

Post a Comment