Thursday 7 March 2013

Professional Context: Conclusion


From my research I have learnt a huge amount of important information about art direction, before the assignment I was pretty much clueless about the subject just the thought of it interested me so I knew it would be vital to learn how you get in to the occupation and what it entails etc.
I found hearing first hand from people within the industry really interesting, and also attaining the contacts will really come in handy later on in my degree. I’ve learnt that both education and experience are vital in becoming an art director, as you need to know what you’re doing to earn the experience. Moreover confidence and people skills are a big part of the job, you must be able to confidently manage a team and converse with the editor regularly. Fashion magazine editors have a very icy reputation (we all know about Anna Wintours famous reputation) so you must be able to stand your ground and be confident around them.
I have also learnt that contacts and working your way up can help get you where you want but hard graft and determination are also key.
I also found the pieces of text I focused on mostly (The Art Directors Handbook and Magazine Editing In Print and Online) to be really useful particularly the former. It has detailed images from lots of different magazines and has detailed analysis in how the front page, inside layouts etc are put together.
Looking in to art direction has only made me hunger for it more; it is something that really engages my interest. I realize any job in fashion requires hard work and a positive attitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment