Monday 26 November 2012

VIS AND COMM: Portraits Edited





Jessie- I used the spot healing brush to clear the skin, I then duplicated the layer and put it in to a group. With the new layer I used the surface blur, I then created a ‘hide all’ layer mask for the group. I then used the pen tool to create a flawless finish to the skin. I didn’t want to make it look too artificial so I turned down the opacity to around 40%. I then added some blusher with the pen tool and Gaussian blur, I then set this to multiply at about 20%. I also wanted to make Jessie’s hair a more chestnut colour, which I did by adding a new layer and using the pen tool at multiply. I also made the beauty spot near her mouth darker. I used dodge and burn to accentuate the jaw line and make the teeth, lips, eyes and whites of eyes lighter/darker. The image was really dark so I duplicated the background layer and set this to screen to lighten to image. I added brightness and contrast, hue/saturation and levels adjustment layers. I also used the selective colour as I really liked the way the light hit the side of the face and wanted to emphasize this so focused on making the yellows stand out. I then added a subtle noise to give the image a vintage kind of look. Overall I wanted to give the image a warm feel.

Grace- With this image of Grace I did the same preparation with the spot healing brush and airbrushing the skin. I messed around with the dodge and burn in the same way, I played with the tools making Grace’s eyes, lips and hair darker. I made her hair blonder with a new layer and the pen tool. I wanted to make the image warmer as it was cold and very bright I did this using curves, levels and selective colour. I duplicated the background and desaturated it to make the darks stand out. 

Alice- I prepared this image in the same ways as the others, using the spot healing brush then airbrushing the skin. Using dodge and burn I made Alice’s eyes lighter and added a small amount of blusher in a new layer. In another layer I used the brush and Gaussian blur to make her hair darker, I set this to multiply. I found that when I edited the colours of this image it would either go really pink or really yellow so I added a fill layer of grey and set this to soft light, which cooled the photo down a little. I also duplicated the background layer and desaturated it. To make the image and the aspects of it a little sharper I duplicated the layer and used the high pass filter, which I set to overlay 43%. The levels adjustment layer then added a nice peachy glow to the image.

Annie- I took this image in a studio space using artificial light from softbox lights. As all the other images I’d worked with had been colour I decided to make this one black and white. I started with the skin, spot healing and airbrushing. I then desaturated the image. I used the dodge tool to make the white of the eyes and the iris lighter. I used burn to accentuate the jaw line, the lips, the hair and the eyebrows. I used a grey on a new layer to add what looked like blusher. As I edited the colours using adjustment layers I found the backdrop went very white and merged in to the image, so I added a layer with grey around the figure to make the backdrop a little darker. I added noise to give the image a vintage feel. I added a final grey fill layer to accentuate the darks and add more contrast. 



No comments:

Post a Comment