Monday 26 November 2012

VIS AND COMM: Information on copyright


Information on Copyright, regarding your own and others work, sound and visuals 
When working in a creative environment, or any for that matter, it is fundamental that you consider copyright whilst creating your work.

Copyright is a legal concept, which is endorsed by the majority of government. It gives the creator of original work exclusive rights to it. For example the copyright of DVD’s as it is illegal to copy movies.

When speaking creatively, copyright applies to a huge range of ‘works’ such as poems, plays, movies, dances, audio, paintings, drawings, sculptures and graphic designs etc. meaning the creators of this work brand it as their own, meaning it is illegal to copy the work.
Copyright doesn’t cover ideas or information, only how they are expressed. For example a movie could use a similar plot but it would have to be executed in a different way for it to be legal.

In the fashion industry, ‘fast fashion’ houses have faced lawsuits over their cheap imitations of catwalk garments. Some high street stores have made exact replicas of designer clothes, which result in fines. For example Forever 21 have faced several lawsuits from Diane Von Furstenberg and Anne Sui among many other well-known designers.
Primark has been accused several times of imitation the work of those in the industry from Superdry to Mary Katrantzou to Prabal Gurung.
There is however no official copyright in the fashion industry, the whole point of copyright is to encourage greater innovation and output of creative works, and the fashion industry has that. It's highly competitive, with many players and new creative works coming out all the time. In fact, studies have shown it's this very lack of fashion copyright that makes the industry so innovative.

When creating my work I must consider copyright also. For example for my PR brief in which I am rebranding Lanvin, I cannot find a perfume ad in a magazine and copy it as that is against copyright.
Also when creating fashion film and video in class, if I intend to put the film on the internet where it can be seen globally, I need to make sure that if there is any audio on the video that I have permission to use it from the creator. The audio could be used if I have independently mixed it or changed it in some way. Moreover if I find visuals online, I would have to make sure that the original owner of the work has allowed me to use them and that I credit them.

Just like if I were to create a piece of work it is in a way copyrighted to me and if anyone wanted to use it they would have to give me appropriate credit. 











Primarks designer copies

No comments:

Post a Comment